Have you seen the new
cabinet? It’s looking nice enough. A lot more variety than before, smaller more
compatible, I think it’s going to work very well in my sitting room. But enough
about that….did you hear recently elected Prime Minister Trudeau has is
assembled his…group of people who help him govern? …I can’t remember the actual
name just now. It’ll come to me…
Trudeau’s
made a pledge to fill his collection of executive government officials with
diversity. Fifty percent of them are going to be women and there’s going to be
plenty of ethnic, regional, and age and experience variety. That’s great! It’s
so wonderful that the best people for these ministerial jobs also happen to
conveniently fit into a visibly diverse whole. The Liberal Party’s not the kind
of party to possibly have more capable, knowledgeable, or experienced men than
women or women than men for these sorts of high ranking positions. They’re not
the party that might have someone who’s studied law all his life, has multiple
degrees and years of experience at the provincial and federal levels; ideal
qualifications for Justice Minister perhaps. Instead they have an enthusiastic
thirty-four year old Hispanic man for that role.
Trudeau’s
entire government is diverse as he’s eager to prove, with Members of Parliament
coming from all walks of life. Where the previous Harper government consisted
of a lot of businessmen, bankers, and card-carrying members of the Gold
Counters Club, this new government consists of teachers, lawyers, journalists,
statesmen, doctors, merchants, judges, juries, executioners, carpenters,
astronauts, actors, small business owners, lion tamers, caretakers,
songwriters, butchers, bakers, candlestick-makers, folks from the navy, infantry,
cavalry, Huey, Duey, and Lewie, miners and minors, unemployed psych majors,
Spiderman, Megatron, Sherlock Holmes, that mad scientist guy from Game of Thrones, a bear, and at least
one magician.
Regardless of how perfect
this is, I think Trudeau should definitely be careful. Some crazy people might
not think filling your 28-member governing troupe with just the best looking
most progressive faces is a smart idea. It’s unconventional, but perhaps
appointing people who are right for the job would work. I mean just look at
Harper’s troupe of the last number of years. For example he had John Baird and
then Peter Kent as Minister of the Environment, neither of whom knew or cared
anything for it, and likely had to take a short seminar to find out what climate
change is. I can understand the recommendation not to go repeating those
mistakes just for the sake of looking modern and diverse.
But I’m sure it’ll be
just fine. When has a minister not knowing what they’re doing steered us wrong
before? Everyone in Trudeau’s circle will be both qualified and diversely
representational in their gender, race, religious, age, sexuality, et al to
show to the world how much better we are (especially compared to the ocean of
white male faces in the American Congress and British Parliament). I’m sure
we’re all going to be comfortable and satisfied with the new Trudeau cupboard-
I knew it’d come to me eventually!
Comments
Post a Comment